Sunrise Trophy

04/22/2012

 

Recognize this? It is another piece in my Trophy line.

This one actually began as a test print on a white t-shirt. It turned out awesome, and I rocked it until I wore the pits out. Upon the realization that the shirt had become unwearable in public I decided to transfer it into wall art. I then cut it, painted it, pressed it, and wrapped it around my patented backing board. Voila, recycled art.

This happens to conveniently coincide with the event of our friends moving into their new house. To celebrate the occasion, I’ve decided to give this to them as a housewarming gift from Emily and I. Just do me a favor, and keep this secret for the next few weeks. I don’t think they read my blog and we want it to be a surprise. Thanks in advance.

 


Advertisements

The Trophy

10/02/2011

Well here it is. As you may remember I have been trying to get this piece on the wall for over a year. Now I am proud to say I’ve done it.

It took a lot of effort and a little luck, but I finally found a way to frame it. All I had to do was custom build a shadowbox (sarcasm). My awesome Mom picked up this beautiful frame at a garage sale for a buck or so. I cleaned it up, painted it a sort of metallic raw umber, attached additional structure to the back for hanging purposes, and devised a way to fit the print inside a customized acrylic frame with depth, which then mounted to the back of the larger frame with hinges. Then I found a stud to hang this frankenstein on. Now it finally has a home on our wall, right above the TV.

Special thanks to my brother Collin for going to town with the Dremel tool.


Sassy In Disguise

08/18/2011

Sasquatch exists. He works in Insight Communications’ customer service department. You’ve seen him around, in line at the movies, filling up his Toyota Tercel, and in the back of your local mexican restaurant slamming taquitos.  You’ve just never noticed because he wears a disguise. You can always tell if it’s him, because his disguise glows in the dark.

Sassy In Disguise has been a long time coming. Anymore, I feel like I start more projects than I finish. It feels good to finally cross something of the list.

This piece is a combination of oil based inks, gesso, and glow-in-the-dark acrylic, on watercolor paper.

I apologize that I couldn’t get a decent shot of his disguise glowing in the dark. I didn’t have the patience to set up for the shot.

Here is a picture of it framed. The color is a little more accurate in this one.


The Frustration Continues

01/29/2011

Here I present 6 months of frustration (so far). This piece began as a birthday gift for Emily. I came up with the concept a little late and due to my workload at the time and the thrill of summer weather, I missed her birthday by a few months. None the less she loved it once I gave it to her, but little did I know that the battle between me and this piece wasn’t over. But I will explain that later.

It all began when I found an awesome frame at the thrift store. It was a shadowbox with a clock mechanism punched through the back to make a clock. The coolest thing about the frame was the numbers on the glass. I loved their style and the fact that they were glow-in-the-dark. The frame itself was junk, compressed paper covered with a sticker to give the illusion of wood. I laboriously took it apart and sanded every inch. I then painted it giving it a really cool distressed look. I reassembled the frame and was very proud of it.

I then carved the linoleum based on a drawing I had done and pressed it to high quality printing paper. On top of that I did a water color wash, then positioned and punched the clock mechanism through the piece and assembled it into the frame.

Completing that whole process was a relief and I was really happy with the outcome. I attached the eye-hooks and wire to the frame and hung it in a perfect place in the kitchen. It hung beautifully for exactly one week, until I woke up one Saturday to find the frame in pieces across the kitchen floor. One of the eye-hooks had ripped out of the cheap frame and it had smashed beyond repair. Amazingly however, the glass was unscathed.

Vowing to Emily that I would fix it, I unfortunately had to put it off a while. Finally I bought a new frame, the same size as the previous and figured I would swap the two glasses. Well, the old glass is about 1/4 of an inch too big to fit in the new frame. So……now it sits, waiting for me to find the time and the patience to hunt down another frame that will fit the glass. With Murphy’s Law is in full effect, that my be a while. Now what began as a low cost, brilliant idea has become one of my most frustrating.


%d bloggers like this: